When you start to look you will see that there are lots of options available for desks. There are the sit or stand desks, computer desks, the writing desk or the executive style desk. There are desks with hutches and different types of drawer storage configuration. There will be desks with and without keyboard trays for securely storing your computer keyboard.
There are many types of woods that desks are made from such as oak, poplar, maple and pine just to name a few. There are desks made of manufactured materials such as pressed hardwoods and particle boards. There are desks made of glass with metal frames. Then there are the various finishes and colors for the various types of woods like cherry or mahogany.
So, while sorting through the woods, style, colors, accessories and finishes, here are some good tips for helping to make your choice.
1. Be sure to have a budget for what you will be spending for the furnishings for your home-based office. The price for this piece of furniture can have a wide range from as much as $85 to as high as $550 dollars or more. The price will mainly depend on what the work space is made of and the size. You can often find an affordable but sturdy piece of furniture that might require some assembly allowing you to stay within your budget.
2. It is important that you measure the space where the desk will be going and measure the desk. You would not put an executive style desk in a space that is only large enough for a writing desk.
3. Be sure you have chosen a sturdy desk with a spacious work space. Some of today’s modern modular desks are not very sturdy.
4. When finding the right spot for your desk be aware of electrical outlets, and telephone jacks. Also, be aware of where the heating/cooling vents are located.
5. Are you a right-handed or left-handed person? This makes a difference when placing the desk, PC, phone and other equipment.
6. Take your storage needs into consideration. This will reduce clutter on the workspace area.
7. Make the desk a reflection of your artistic taste and personal style. The desk is generally the focal point of the room because you are sitting behind it.
8. The style of the desk will be a personal choice.
9. Ask yourself if you want the desk to reflect your home décor or will it be a style completely different from your home furnishings.
You may want to look for a comfortable desk chair while researching the desk. I would recommend choosing a desk chair that you will be comfortable and supported in when having to work for long periods of time. Consider what kind of tasks you will be doing in the office and be sure the chair has mobility and that you can move around the office in it. Make sure it complements the style of desk you have chosen.
Now go ahead and make your choice of the perfect desk chair and desk for your home-based office knowing that you have made the right decision for your workspace and comfort.