I don’t know about you, but after a long holiday weekend, getting back into the swing of things took me a second. So I’m excited to relax a bit this weekend and catch up on some reading and movies and all the the things I indulged in over our break.
Before we close up shop for the weekend, I wanted to share some of our favorite posts from DS this week and around the web. But first — these amazing macrame-inspired paper wall hangings by artist Griffin Carrick.
Interior designer and artist Griffin Carrick creates these “paper macrame” hangings from her home in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Each piece is made of quilled 100% PCW recycled card stock that Griffin hand cuts, rolls, and folds into three-dimensional sculptures.
I love the idea of combining two traditional crafts into one modern interpretation and the patterns she creates take a lot of patience, skill and time. I’m sharing some of my favorite pieces above and below, but you can check out more online at her Instagram feed or her Etsy shop. Until Monday, have a safe* and happy weekend. xo, Grace
*We will be using our social media channels this weekend to share links and resources for those in need and affected by Hurricane Irma. So please stay tuned if you’d like to help out. For anyone in need with specific requests, please feel free to email or contact us on social media so we can help spread the word.
- Inspiring Women: My series with Ann Taylor is starting to fill up, and this week I interviewed Lisa Lucas of the National Book Foundation. You can check out her interview and all four women right here.
- Stripes: These modern stripe paintings by Terry Haggerty are incredible.
- Insecure: Yvonne Orji is this week’s interview at Into the Gloss. I love her so much.
- LOLs: If you haven’t seen this video from Ireland of people trying to catch a bat in their home, please watch. I haven’t laughed this hard in ages. “Maureen you’re not helping from behind that door!”
- Around the World: Check out these international editions of our latest book, In the Company of Women. The Korean edition looks like a completely different (and REALLY pink) book.
- Nails and String: These portraits made from a single thread wrapped around nails, by artist Kumi Yamashita, are amazing. (via WomensArt)
- Hurricane Relief: There are so many people and places affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma. If you’re able to help out in any way, please check out these links or keep an eye on national news for any last-minute additions that people in our community need help with.
- Essays: 6 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Buying Our First Home by Grace
- Desktop Wallpaper Downloads From Lea Carey: Day one, two, three and four.
- Food & Drink: Buttery Chocolate and Sour Cherry Brioche Buns + Giveaway
- Interiors: A Wheelchair Accessible Home in Wales Filled With Bold Design Accents, In Indiana, A Rare 1960s Home Where Architecture and Art Intertwine
- Before & After: A Dated Bedroom Becomes A Modern Retreat for Family